Wednesday

WCW: NICOLE ASINUGO

Hi guys, HAPPY WEDNESDAY. Hope you had lots of fun yesterday? It was worker's day!
There's an uber amazing, multi-talented lady who is a content creator, producer, editor and storyteller (so many hats, hehe) and that's why she's our WCW today. There's a lot to learn from her today, especially if you're a content creator! Enjoy my short chat with the amazing Nicole Asinugo ;)



1) You have worked as a copywriter, editor and producer. What struggles did you face embracing these non-traditional careers in a society that leans towards the typical 'lawyer' and 'doctor' roles?

I actually studied law as my first degree. Lol. I wasn’t necessarily forced by my parents but I was definitely encouraged. My dad used to call me his lawyer anytime I would argue. I talked a lot and so everyone just assumed I would be a lawyer. Thinking about it now, I really don’t know what the correlation between being talkative and law is but… yeah. Very quickly into my law degree, I knew it wasn’t for me. It was boring to me and it really didn’t come easily like classes I excelled at in secondary school (history, literature, politics etc). However, I stuck with it, graduated and went to law school as every good Nigerian student who studied law should do. But after I got called to the bar, I hung up the wig for good.

I have always had a passion for writing so I decided to go to London School of Journalism to explore that. After that I came back to Nigeria and did my NYSC at Channels Television. Very quickly on, I realized journalism wasn’t for me either. It was too serious and I really didn’t have a passion for covering the news. I decided I wanted to write about fun things, something that let me be creative. So, I applied for a job at an Advertising agency and started my career as a junior copywriter. It was the first time I felt like I was doing something that I was good at and I enjoyed. I guess the main struggle I had was not really knowing what career opportunities there were aside from the traditional roles our parents and schools led us to believe were the only/best options.


2)     You’d like to write a book about……..
NICOLE:  Men. Nigerian men. It will be the book that never ends.




3)     Please tell us three things you do that help you get bomb ideas?
NICOLE: 1) Create mood boards. I use Tumblr mostly to curate dope images I find on the internet. I have folders dedicated to fruit, the color pink, afro futurism, baskets… whatever I find visually appealing usually sparks something inside me and gives me a good idea.

2) Research. If I’m creating a story for a brand, I need to research whatever my theme is. I look on the internet mostly and just read random bits of information and collate things I think are important.

3) Writing things down. I am a serial doodler. I write in between lines, in circles, I draw (albeit badly), I write every single thing I’m thinking down and an idea usually pops up somewhere.

4)     What’s the best advice you’ve ever received/heard concerning content production?
NICOLE: Hmm… I don’t think anyone really aver advised me about creating content. I really just taught myself. But if I could advise anyone. I would say. Know your audience. I remember when I spent a lot of time and effort creating a beautiful almond and banana bread recipe for a lifestyle blog. It was a gorgeous shoot and the pictures turned out amazing. The post got really low views and I wondered why no one was engaging with the post. Turns out my audience was more of a seafood okra kind of audience. Nobody wanted to know how to make almond and banana bread. Before you create content - ask yourself - 'who am I talking to'? Define who your audience is and create content you know they will find useful.

source: Ndanitv
5)     What’s one thing you hope to have done by the time you’re 50?

NICOLE: By the time I'm 50, I would like to have gotten married, had kids and grand kids. Won an Oscar for best screen play, have a few bestselling novels and have really long natural hair that's completely grey. Oh... you said one thing :)

6)     Who’s one person (dead or alive) you wish you could meet now and why?
NICOLE: Oprah. Why? It’s OPRAH. And maybe Fela. Actually, I would choose Fela over Oprah. Why? It's FELA.

7)     Some (female) writers you’re crushing on today are…....
NICOLE:  Tomi Adeyemi. Author of Children of Blood and Bone. She’s a 24-year-old Nigerian American and has a seven figure book and movie deal. Dollars o, not naira. Lol.




8)     What’s on your mind this Wednesday?
NICOLE:  I live in Dubai now. Thursday is the last day of the week. Wednesday is very close to Thursday. This means I survived another week and the weekend is finally here. Also, that I’ve never been anyone’s ‘WCW’ so thanks for the much needed self esteem boost!


 *Nicole recently left her position at Ndani TV. She now works as a Storyteller and Content Curator for Expo 2020 Dubai. She is writing her first novel and hopes to get published in 2019.


That's it guys
Stay inspired!
Anjola 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#SkincareSaturday Three things to do for your skin this weekend!

Ideally, we should pamper ourselves every day.  Unfortunately, with the hustle and bustle that is Lagos, we usually end up with at best, ...