Wednesday

WCW: AJIFA ATULUKU

Hi guys, and ladies ;) How's your Wednesday going?
I'm such a sucker for fun interviews, and inspiring ones too, so imagine my joy when I got both in one.
It's amazing when people wear different hats, embrace themselves fully and still have fun while at it. It really is inspiring-and that's why I'm excited for our woman crush today. Drumroll please, for the the beautiful, Multi-talented media personality. Ajifa Atuluku.

She is a TV presenter, producer and a professional dancer. She's also featured in Reality TV shows like Red TV's 'Here and Now: the adventures of TASA' and Ebonylife TV's 'Moving up the Squad.' This chat is a fun one, so get ready. Enjoy ;)




Hi Ajifa!

1) You are a TV presenter and producer, what do you love most about your job?
AJIFA: I love presenting and producing for two very different reasons that are somehow intertwined. I love presenting live shows especially because you can just be yourself and connect with so many people on different levels. At live events, people form a bond with you, care what you think, see you as an inspiration or even the ones who can’t stand you; you connect! In terms of producing, I love it because you literally take something that is an idea formed in your head from that tiny scratch into a full blown element that people can see and identify with. I mean the ability to create anything of worth is a blessing for me.



2) Reality TV seems like fun for you, since you’ve featured in shows like Adventures of TASA and Moving up the squad; How did those come about and what was the experience like?
AJIFA: Funny thing is that they both came about by accident and to be honest when I started my career in the media, I NEVER saw reality TV in my future. Here and Now was a concept my closest friends and I came up with to travel and explore different countries with a hint of our reality as women and friends. We had been friends for a long time and we are all crazy fun so we thought to let people in on our lives. UBA then came on board and gave us the opportunity to bring it to fruition. Moving Up on the other hand is another funny story. A couple of us had gone to try out for a spot on an already existing show on Ebonylife TV and from our auditions, the bosses thought “these girls all together would make a good show” and that’s how Moving Up was created. The experience has been surreal. I have achieved things I never expected I would in such a short time, I have visited beautiful countries, shared my reality with the world, been vulnerable for the world to see with my closest friends by my side…AMAZING. I am appreciative of all opportunities these two shows have given me.



3) You recently began dancing classes ‘Dance with Ayjay’ what inspired that and how did you get the confidence to finally begin?
AJIFA:  Honestly dancing had always been in the pipeline for me. You know that dream that you always remind yourself “someday I have to go back to this”? Dancing was that for me. So really the inspiration for Dance with Ayjay had been since I could move (my mother’s womb). The confidence to start was the issue! I was a fantastic dancer back in the day and everyone had big dreams for me. People even speculated I was going to be on “So you think you can dance” at some point but guess what? Life got in the way and I stopped dancing. So I always thought to myself, I would never be good enough because I mean have you seen the dancers in Nigeria…they are phenomenal!! I hadn’t danced in a long time and left to me, I had lost the skill. I procrastinated and said I needed some training to start until I attended a dance workshop in Maryland, USA called Bees Dance Workshop by one of my best friends and dance partners in secondary school Abimbola Salisu. That workshop liberated me…like riding a bike I reconnected with my first love-dance and Bimbo disturbed me and pushed me to start in Lagos until I did. She helped me understand I didn’t need much…I just needed to take the plunge and START; so I did and really God has been good. I have been so overwhelmed by the support and response.


4) You are a freelancer, why did you opt for freelancing and how do you deal with times when there are no gigs (if there has ever been a time like this).
AJIFA: Well first of all, I decided to become a freelancer because I needed more. I had gotten to a point where my life had become a boring routine and anyone who knows me, knows I hate routines. A lot of people loved me and my shows at the time but what they didn’t know was that I had become resentful of a profession I loved so much and slid into depression at different points in life. I needed a change and new challenges, so I fasted, prayed, quit my full time job and became a freelancer. With freelancing, the projects, methods, concepts, locations, shoot styles, crew etc differ and the possibilities are endless! I love it! As for times where there are no gigs…what do you do… you relax LOL or you create the opportunities for yourself. I have months where I don’t earn a dime and to be honest there’s nothing you can do that’s the life of a freelancer. In life there are seasons. Dry and Wet. So you use the seemingly dry period to re-strategize, unwind, come up with ideas, call whomever you need to remind of your services and basically just make sure your seasons are almost always wet.


5) Who is your favourite international talk show host?
AJIFA: My God I don’t have one
Jimmy Fallon (I LOVE HIM)
James Corden
Ellen DeGeneres

That's it guys!
Stay inspired ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

#SkincareSaturday Three things to do for your skin this weekend!

Ideally, we should pamper ourselves every day.  Unfortunately, with the hustle and bustle that is Lagos, we usually end up with at best, ...