Monday

MCM: BIODUN LAARO AKA BIEDIESIEL

Hey Fam!

I have a certain kind of respect for people who have corporate jobs and still find time to follow other paths. It's like their days have more than 24hrs in them. Sigh, I would tell you how my own days have barely ten hours in them but this post isn't about me. It's about our man crush today ;)

Our MCM is obviously someone who works a corporate job, but still has time to be a writer and a TV Personality. Of course, I'm curious to know how he juggles both,You might know him from Accelerate TV news but he's also an executive coordinator at Andela; We are crushing on superhuman,  Biodun Laaro AKA Beediesiel (I had a hard time spelling that! hehe). Enjoy!


1)     You’re a writer, TV Host and an executive coordinator at Andela; How do you maintain a healthy balance with all of these?

BIODUN: Wow that’s a brilliant question. I don’t speak much about my work at Andela, but honestly even I don’t know how I balance both. I think the answer will be that I find great joy doing both. Neither is an inconvenience to the other - if that were the case, I would be on red carpets at 10pm on Sundays haha! I have learnt to be organized. I stick strictly to my calendar, and allow only 7percent room for disruptions.

Also, I like to think that I am low maintenance, and take things really easy. As long as there is a thought process and plan behind anything, then executing becomes easy like Apple pie.

2. What do you love most about being a presenter and a writer?
BIODUN: I think that the best part is the fusion of both worlds. Being able to manage my creative and professional side is such an amazing opportunity.

Some days, I believe that they feed off each other. I get compliments (which I am ever humbled by) for the amount of creativity that I apply in my corporate work, and my producers commend my professionalism on set too.

To see myself grow and utilize the skills that I learn in both fields is quite the treat.







3)     You host the Accelerate TV news, how did that come about?
BIODUN: Contrary to what might be assumed, I never really saw myself in front of the camera.

Actually, there was time that I did but I also almost gave up on that.

After school my undergrad, I auditioned for a number of hosting gigs but they never really worked out. My friends were really supportive and tried to get me to keep it going, but a cut off at the top 30 of MTV search in 2012 made me think I had had enough. I stuck to writing article and poetry, and continued down the corporate path as well.

After my masters degree at the Pan Atlantic University’s school of Media and Communication, I got the opportunity to intern at Accelerate TV as an Admin manager. That worked extremely well, and then one of the producers asked me to do a test run for news one day and voila! It’s like all the mental preparation made the opportunity work out just fine.

4)     Before the camera comes on, you……………
BIODUN: Before the camera comes on, I am my silliest self - in an attempt to get everyone comfortable and alive. My crew and I have a laughing fest. They actually plead that I stop. All the random jokes that I don’t make normally just come. The cameraman would say oh Biodun I am trying to get the focus , and I go “ help!! This man has lost his focus we need to help him".  It helps to get people in great spirits when they want to work with you, I am really big on how the people around me feel. So if clowning a little helps cheer you up, then I am happy to do so.


5)     What keeps you inspired on days when things don’t go as planned?
BIODUN:I have a mantra

Find all of the things that make you who you are
Know all of the things that make you who you are
Be all of the things that make you who you are
Remind us the things that make us who we are.


6)     What three things make you happy?
BIODUN: My mum, Food and Travelling

7)     What’s one thing you'd like to say to your '20 year old' and '50 year old' self respectively?
BIODUN: To my 20 year old self, strap in Biodun! It’s about to be one bumpy ride. What you should be aiming at is the best use of time. Nothing you’d regret. Remember to learn how to love yourself first before going to look for else where.

And to my 50 year old self. Dear Biodun, I hope you found all that you searched for. If not, then Les give it one more try.




8)     What’s on your mind this Monday?
BIODUN: Getting back to work. I have been away on holiday for a while. For the first time in my career, this is the first time I can boldly say “ I am on leave” hahah!

So yeah, I have been reminded by my friend and colleagues that I still have a job and a life that I need to come back to. Back to reality now.

Thank you Biodun for being our MCM ;)

That's it guys, 
Stay inspired

No comments:

Post a Comment

#SkincareSaturday Three things to do for your skin this weekend!

Ideally, we should pamper ourselves every day.  Unfortunately, with the hustle and bustle that is Lagos, we usually end up with at best, ...