Monday

#FreshandAlternative Adekunle delivers Gold

When an artiste releases a single, then another, then another, and they all do pretty well on radio and at shows, you start to crave an album and look at the artiste when you seem them like, 'wyd?'

A little over a year after 'Sade', Adekunle Gold's debut album drops.


 The initial reaction on social media seemed positive, people picked early favourites like 'No Forget' and on my show today, I must have got a million requests for that one, as well as 'Friendzone' and 'My Life'.


I like the album.

It's a really good listen with sing along hooks and a folk vibe. The production is top notch with producers like Pheelz and Masterkraft, Guitars by Fiokee and Femi Leye and all tracks apart from 'Sade' mixed and mastered by another folk alternative artiste, Simi.

My favourite songs are the Sleekamo produced 'Temptation' (I have it on repeat), early favourite, 'Pick Up' (as birthday is coming soon I really need Baba God to answer my call o), and 'Ariwo Ko' which is the folk version of a rap diss. I love it!


The ode to highlife 'Sweet Me' is a miss with me, mainly because my ears didn't feel it was needed, at first listen.

Overall, I think it's a decent debut album, introducing the world to who Adekunle Gold is. The album art features some of his drawings / paintings, and creative writing my Gbemisola Ero-Phillips.
The album itself introduces us to a talented artiste who almost quit while making music the way he thought it should be done, till he went back to the folk basics and now he's happy making it the way he was born to.

Let's give it four areas out of five shall we?






No comments:

Post a Comment

#SkincareSaturday Three things to do for your skin this weekend!

Ideally, we should pamper ourselves every day.  Unfortunately, with the hustle and bustle that is Lagos, we usually end up with at best, ...